Sunday, April 29, 2007

More about food

Today's post is quickie one about (surprise, surprise) food again.

For Polly, Achar Awak is a Nyonya dish, a Straits Chinese recipe. There are 3 variations of Nyonya cooking - Penang (which is influenced in part by Thailand), Malacca and Singapore (which are influenced in part by Indonesia). Achar Awak is a mixed vegetable pickle. The blended spice mixture of onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, galangal, chilli and tumeric is fried on low heat until fragrant. Then blanch some vegetables (carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, long beans) in water with vinegar and sugar. Mix the vegetables in the spice mixture with more sugar and vinegar. Stick them in bottles. Roast and pound peanuts and sesame seeds for sprinkling on the pickle when ready to eat. Here's what we had to eat last night - stir fried vegetables, chicken curry and achar. Yum!


I've also managed to finish some of my knitting projects. And just in time for SAM3. These are my first toe up socks. I made them for my little girl (although she hates the socks, she loves the yarn especially all that pink!). I used the generic toe up sock pattern from Knitty.com. The yarn is Lana Grossa Meilenwet. I didn't even try to make them matching but they just turned up that way. I am really getting the hang of sock knitting. I'm going to have to try more complicated patterns.

3 comments:

alltangledup said...

i'm going to have do some research on Malaysian/Singaporean food. I visited the region over 15 years ago and one of my favourite things was the food. My family is from China where the food is not influenced by Indonesian, Indian and Malaysian cooking, so tends to lack some of the variety

mary said...

Hurray for you, getting the hang of sock knitting. I have huge holes in my heel joins in this month's socks, so i need to get the hang of a new short-row heel. That'll be next month. Those pink socks are adorable.

kathy b said...

Awww those socks are so wonderfully matched. Now you are going to join the fancy sock knitters.....I have done some patterned socks but prefer the straight old knitting for mindless sock fun. I cheat and let the great selfpatterning yarns shine for me!